- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- Mix together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, butter and honey.
- Combine the wet and dry, stirring with a wooden spoon just until combined.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners and fill each cup with mixture till about 3/4 full.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until just golden brown.
February 26, 2009
Sweet Honey Cornbread
I've been seeing a lot of cornbread recipes out there lately, and I have to tell you, I'm a big fan of the sweet versions. The savory ones that have a little kick to them just don't do it for me. Especially since I normally serve cornbread with soups and such that already have a bite to them, so the sweeter versions work to counteract a bit of that heat. Sorry, to all of you who think sweet cornbread is a bunch of bologna, but I like it!
This is my first time making cornbread entirely from scratch, and there really is nothing to it. It's so easy, I don't know why I even bothered with the mix in the first place. You can really taste the honey in these, but they aren't too sweet. They baked up beautifully, with a slightly crisp edge and a moist, crumbly center. With a nice pat of butter, these are just perfection.
Instead of eating my little disaster of a gumbo, I ate 3 of these for dinner. :)
Sweet Honey Cornbread Muffins
Adapted from Down Home with the Neelys
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup AP flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
2 large eggs
1/2 stick butter, melted
1/4 cup honey