February 2, 2009

Why not keep the Crockpot out?

You probably know by now that I am a big fan of the slow cooker/ crockpot/ working woman's best friend. It's just the easiest thing to cook in and produces phenomenal results with minimum effort. There is nothing better than coming home after a long day to house that is filled with the smell of stewing meat and promises of a delicious dinner. I owe my mom for this little obsession, and I am on a journey to spread the good news! You can imagine how excited I was to happen to pop into my friend's house the other day, only to find her slow cooker (a handmedown from moi) on the counter and obviously being put to good use.

I know many people used their slow cooker over the weekend for the big game, since it is a must for sports parties. So, why not keep it out for dinner this week and make these delicious short ribs. After cooking all day, they are absolutely falling off the bone and tender enough that you could cut the meat with a butter knife. Plus they cook in a wonderful sauce that is chock full of veggies and also makes a fantastic gravy (Brad ate the leftover gravy over rice and even froze some he liked it so much).

Again, this really took minimal effort and you could easily do it before leaving for work (grilled meat - best perfume ever, men will be falling over themselves). I just busted out my big grill pan and seared the ribs on all sides, then dumped them in the pot along with the other ingredients and forgot about it for 8 hours. Presto Changeo - Dinner is served!


Ale-Braised Short Ribs
Slightly adapted from Slow Cooker - Williams Sonoma
Serves 6

4-5 lbs. bone-in beef short ribs
salt and pepper
2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 butternut squash, peeled and diced
14.5-oz. can diced plum tomatoes, with juice
12-oz. dark beer
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup water
  • Preheat grill pan (or broiler).
  • Grill (broil) ribs, turning once, about 3 minutes per side.
  • Place ribs in slow cooker.
  • Place onions, garlic, squash, tomatoes and beer on top of ribs.
  • Cook for 5-6 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low.
  • Remove ribs and veggies from pot, and cover with foil to keep warm.
  • Skim off any excess fat with a slotted spoon.
  • Turn heat to high, and whisk together the flour and water.
  • Whisk water mixture into sauce and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the sauce is slightly thickened.
  • Add salt and pepper to taste.
  • Serve gravy over ribs and veggies (can place everything back in pot if desired).

15 comments:

Foodie with Little Thyme! said...

Looks yum!
Maybe I should get myself a crockpot?

Foodiewife said...

Beautiful photos and those ribs...wow! They're gorgeous. As soon as our 70 degree weather calms down (big grin) I'll have to whip up some of these in my crockpot.
The gravy does sound delicius.

grace said...

i definitely don't use my crockpot enough. it's a wonderful tool, and there's really no excuse for my behavior. :)
great ribs, by the way. hello beer. :)

Dewi said...

Looks absolutely delicious.
Cheers,
Elra

Kendall Boggs said...

wow that looks great! We had a wonderful time with your parents last night! I've loved your blog!
Take care...happy cooking and eating!

Anonymous said...

Yep, when I worked out of the home, the slow cooker was awesome. You've done it here, they are beautiful! Nice work!

Aimée said...

Looks awesome. I love braised meat as much as typical guys do. Love the addition of the squash.

Anonymous said...

yum, my husband will love these! I adore my crockpot. As a working full-time, in nursing school, marathon-training wife of a really hungry man who can't cook, my crockpot gets a lot of use!

Maria said...

We got a nice crockpot for our wedding but I have only used it once. I really need to pull it out!! We both work so I am sure it would help us out!

Culinary Wannabe said...

Hi Foodie - You should pronto!!! You will love it!!!

Hi Debby - 70?!? I am sooo jealous!!

Hi Grace - You'll just have to bring it out of hiding before the weather turns steamy again. :)

Hi Elra - Thanks so much!

Hi Kendall - Thanks for stopping by! I'm sure you and Mom are just trouble together! :)

Hi Noble Pig - Thank-you!!

Hi Aimée - Do you think we should bottle braised meat perfume? I see a serious business venture in our future. :)

Hi darlingchef - Wow! I'm surprised you even have time to eat! I know when I was marathon training I ate everything in site and would have loved coming home to dinner already being done. Good-luck with everything!

Hi Maria - The newer ones are so nice too. I'm sure yours is like mine (we got ours for our wedding as well) and you can program it exactly. Easy Peasy!

Sara said...

I try to use my crockpot at least once a month, it's so nice to come home to dinner already made! This looks delicious.

Stacey Snacks said...

I may have to buy a slow cooker for this short ribs recipe.
That looks fabulous!

Stacey

Culinary Wannabe said...

Hi Sara - It is so nice! And the cleanup is usually a breeze as well. Pluses all around!

Hi Stacey - Girl, you should definitely get one! You will not be disappointed!

Anonymous said...

have you ever tried cooking with a pressure cooker! i think you'd love it!

Farmer Jo said...

MMM, that looks great! Great blog!