- Preheat grill pan (or broiler).
- Grill (broil) ribs, turning once, about 3 minutes per side.
- Place ribs in slow cooker.
- Place onions, garlic, squash, tomatoes and beer on top of ribs.
- Cook for 5-6 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low.
- Remove ribs and veggies from pot, and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Skim off any excess fat with a slotted spoon.
- Turn heat to high, and whisk together the flour and water.
- Whisk water mixture into sauce and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve gravy over ribs and veggies (can place everything back in pot if desired).
February 2, 2009
Why not keep the Crockpot out?
You probably know by now that I am a big fan of the slow cooker/ crockpot/ working woman's best friend. It's just the easiest thing to cook in and produces phenomenal results with minimum effort. There is nothing better than coming home after a long day to house that is filled with the smell of stewing meat and promises of a delicious dinner. I owe my mom for this little obsession, and I am on a journey to spread the good news! You can imagine how excited I was to happen to pop into my friend's house the other day, only to find her slow cooker (a handmedown from moi) on the counter and obviously being put to good use.
I know many people used their slow cooker over the weekend for the big game, since it is a must for sports parties. So, why not keep it out for dinner this week and make these delicious short ribs. After cooking all day, they are absolutely falling off the bone and tender enough that you could cut the meat with a butter knife. Plus they cook in a wonderful sauce that is chock full of veggies and also makes a fantastic gravy (Brad ate the leftover gravy over rice and even froze some he liked it so much).
Again, this really took minimal effort and you could easily do it before leaving for work (grilled meat - best perfume ever, men will be falling over themselves). I just busted out my big grill pan and seared the ribs on all sides, then dumped them in the pot along with the other ingredients and forgot about it for 8 hours. Presto Changeo - Dinner is served!
Ale-Braised Short Ribs
Slightly adapted from Slow Cooker - Williams Sonoma
4-5 lbs. bone-in beef short ribs
salt and pepper
2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 butternut squash, peeled and diced
14.5-oz. can diced plum tomatoes, with juice
12-oz. dark beer
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup water