- Preheat oven to 350℉ and line 2 baking sheets with foil.
- Thoroughly mix together melted butter, sugar and molasses.
- Lightly beat egg and add to the mixture; blend well.
- Sift flour with spices, salt and baking soda, and add to mixture (batter will be wet).
- Drop tablespoons of cookie batter on foil, leaving approx. 3 inches between cookies.
- Bake just until they begin to darken; about 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to cooling rack.
- Using mixer, whisk together lemon juice and powdered sugar until a glossy icing is formed (may need more or less lemon juice, so add gradually).
- When cookies have cooled completely, cover in icing; let dry on racks.
December 12, 2008
Mom's Molasses Cookies
I'm finally able to get out of bed and do some holiday baking - Wahoo!! Even though I'm battling the remains of a terrible cold, I'm not letting it keep me down and miss out on my favorite time of year. Plus, over the next few days I'm visiting some of those folks you don't see everyday, like my hair person and the piano tuner. So I'm being a tough girl and baking up some goodies.
My mom makes these molasses cookies year round, but their spiced quality and pretty icing make them perfect for the holidays. They bake up thin and moist, which makes eating a dozen in one sitting an absolute possibility. The fresh tasting icing is the perfect contrast to the spiced cookie.
There is no rolling and cutting required. My mom uses a little melon baller to scoop out perfectly shaped cookies every time. When the icing has dried they package up nicely as well. I fit about a dozen into these cute little Christmas take-out style boxes that I got from the container store for like a dollar. Talk about a recession-worthy gift!
I'll be sending a slew of these to my friends far away, since my mom always ships them to me. Even after a few days in a box, they come out perfect and taste as fresh as the day they were baked. Happy holiday baking!!
Mom's Molasses Cookies
Makes about 3 dozen
1 1/2 (12 Tlbs) sticks Sweet Butter, melted (if using salted version, omit additional salt)
1 cup granulated Sugar
1/4 cup Molasses (Grandma's Original Molasses recommended)
1 3/4 cup AP Flour
1/2 teaspoon ground Cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground Ginger
1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 cup Lemon Juice
3 cups Powdered Sugar