- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- Scrub potatoes and pierce each with fork.
- Bake potatoes in oven for 1 hour or until tender.
- Cut potatoes into chunks and send through a food mill with the coarse attachment (no need to peel), or peel and coarsely mash by hand.
- Place flour in a large dutch oven and gradually whisk in milk.
- Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly (about 8 minutes).
- Add mashed potatoes, 3/4 cup of cheese and salt and pepper to taste (the recipe called for only 1 teaspoon of salt, but I ended up adding about 3 teaspoons total), stirring until cheese melts.
- Stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup green onions and cook over low heat for 10 minutes (do not boil), or until thoroughly heated.
- Serve each individual serving with additional cheese, onions and bacon.
December 9, 2008
Baked Potato Soup for the Soul
For the past few days I have been feeling a bit under the weather. It started like the usual, somewhat manageable, seasonal cold that I always get when it becomes chilly out. But after running outside in the snow for a few hours on Sunday morning at the GOTR event, my little cold has turned into a full fledged can't-get-out-of-bed illness. Yuck!
Naturally I'm in no mood to really eat anything, let alone cook something. As cooking something would mean standing up, which is not exactly feasible at the moment. Luckily I made a huge pot of this soup a few days ago and we are now surviving on the leftovers. Baked potato soup is always delicious, but especially so when you aren't feeling so hot. I actually made this recipe for the first time when I had just started college. I remember it so well because it was one of my first attempts at cooking something more complex than mac and cheese. Needless to say it was a total disaster because I neglected to stir it while it was cooking and the whole bottom half of the soup burnt to the pot. Lesson learned - thou shalt stir soup (duh!).
The soup is thick, rich and filling. I can also vouch that it makes awesome leftovers. Potatoes, cheese and bacon - need I say more?
Baked Potato Soup
4 Baking Potatoes
2/3 cups AP Flour
6 cups Milk (I used skim)
1 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
1 cup Reduced Fat Sour Cream
3/4 cup Green Onions, chopped
6 Bacon slices, cooked and crumbled