April 27, 2009

Chicken Paillard


Is anyone else enjoying the weather as much as me?? It has been absolutely beautiful in NYC! We spent this whole weekend outside, and I already started today off with a run through the park. Even little Suki seems energized by the weather change. 

With bathing suit season quickly approaching (or here!), I think we could all use a little healthy eating. I know everyone spent the whole winter eating carrots and celery just so they could fit into that itty-bitty-bikini. Ha! I certainly ate my way through winter comfort food, and am now realizing that macaroni and cheese is not, in fact, its own food group. So here's a nice and light dish that is delicious and healthy. I especially love this recipe because after making it once you will practically have the whole thing memorized, ingredients and all. This comes in very handy when you are standing in the grocery store with no idea what to make. Plus it's totally painless and you only have to stand over the stove for a few minutes. Major plus for those of us who don't yet have their AC turned on. 

Chicken Paillard with Lemon Arugula Salad
Adapted from Cooking Light
Serves 2

zest and juice of half a lemon
1 teaspoon EVOO
1/2 garlic clove, crushed
2 cups salad greens
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
S&P
cooking spray
1/2 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup dry white wine
  • In a large bowl, whisk together the first 3 ingredients, and set aside.
  • Place each chicken breast between 2 sheets of plastic wrap, and using a meat mallet, pound each out till it is 1/4 inch thick.
  • Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high and coat with cooking spray. 
  • Add chicken to skillet and cook for 4 minutes on each side or until cooked through. 
  • Place chicken on a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
  • Add halved tomatoes and white wine to the pan and cook for 2 minutes, or until the liquid is nearly evaporated.
  • To serve, toss salad greens in lemon juice mixture, and place greens on top of chicken. Top greens with tomatoes.

22 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks seriously delicious. I love when light and healthy meet delicious.

Anonymous said...

This is lovely and perfect with the salad for a hot day! Yum!

Foodiewife said...

You got my full attention with the white wine. To me, cooking with booze makes everything taste even better! You're right-- this looks simple and very delicious.
I'm trying to cook healthier now that I'm back to swimming. Bikinis are out for me, though... I'm as old as dirt.

Deb

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

Ah, yes, time to lighten up for summer! It's easy to eat fresh wonderful veggies when the weather is warm. Everyone, quick! Head to the Farmer's Market!

Dewi said...

Healthy and delicious. I like it to serve this with salad too.

Foodie with Little Thyme! said...

Looks wonderful. Wish I could go for a run outside. It's been storming all day here. I don't mind a run in the rain but it's the hail that keeps me in!

Maria said...

We are going to Palm Beach in a month! I can't wait to hit the beach! I eat so much lighter in the summer, usually enjoy watermelon for dinner:) This is a great recipe! Thanks!

noble pig said...

Oh very nice dish and healthy!

Kerstin said...

I'm always on the hunt for simple, tasty, and healthy chicken dishes like this one! Looks yummy.

Emily said...

Yum! This looks healthy and delicious! Perfect for spring.

grace said...

i like paillard. wanna know why? it gives me a chance to get out some aggression while getting even at my downstairs neighbors for all their noise. :)

Jamie said...

Itty bitty bikini? No thanks, not for me! But this chicken dish? Absolutely! Hubby will love something so clean and healthy and it sounds really delish!

sugarlens said...

I am more of a tankini kind of girl, and yes, you are right, I eat a lot lighter duing the summer months. Sometimes I just have a bowl of cereal for dinner!

Great looking chicken!

Pumpkin said...

I hear you on the healthy eating. Spending my first winter in six years at a bakery in the mountains I gained not only winter weight, but also pastry weight! And we are already firmly in swimsuit season here in FL- so I am frantically trying to lose weight!
This looks fabulous and delicious, and healthy to boot!

Sara said...

I love how light and healthy this is! I've been cooking lighter lately too, making tons of salad.

Anonymous said...

uggh bathing suit season! don't remind me!
and i would eat this even if bating suit season wasn't coming up ;)

Meg said...

Looks delicious and I love that it is light!

Donna-FFW said...

Nice, pretty, healthy, delicious all in one dish. Perfect choice. Cooing Light has some pretty good stuff, great minds think alike, I just had a cooking light one up also:) Dugout mom, theres an idea I like, thanks for the tip.

Juliana said...

Great salad for the hot day that sure will be here soon. The dish looks really yummie!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Another great recipe from CL.

Scate said...

you've been memed! check out my blog to see your award.

The Duo Dishes said...

Happy to have stumbled upon your site today. This is totally a recipe to keep on file!