- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- Saute onions in a pan over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Combine cooked onions and refried beans in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 3 minutes (or until heated).
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups of cheese.
- Place tortillas in a pile surrounded by damp paper towels and microwave on high for 1 minute, or until soft.
- Pour half the enchilada sauce into a 13 x 9-in. baking dish.
- Coat the tortilla shell in the sauce on both sides, then spoon bean mixture (about 1/4 cup amount) down the center.
- Roll tortilla and place tightly in baking dish.
- Continue until dish is full.
- Top with remaining sauce and cheese.
- Bake for 8 minutes, or until completely heated.
- Serve individual enchiladas with sour cream and cilantro.
January 11, 2009
Enchiladas with a side of pain killers, please.
So I underwent a a fun little surgery last week that has had me either tied to the bed or in a pain-killer-induced fog for what seems like forever now. What a way to ring in the new year! Since I haven't been able to stand for long and have no appetite there has been a sudden lack of home-cooked food coming from our kitchen. Brad has been taking good care of me and the man sure knows how to work the take-out menu! But all this has me really aching to get back in the kitchen and make something that didn't come to our door in 30 minutes or less. I'm also dying to go for a run but that looks like it ain't happening for a while. I never thought I would be envious of all the new year's gym slaves.
I've had this recipe on hand for a while as it's an old standby for me. I mean who doesn't love enchiladas? The cheese, beans, and red sauce all make this a home run. It's quick and easy (seems to be a theme for me lately - I promise to try something a little more challenging once I'm back to my normal self), and can be on the table in under 25 minutes. This is yet another one of those meat-free dinner options with a few low-fat additions, so you can feel assured it won't reck any resolutions you might have made a week ago.
Cheese and Bean Enchiladas
Adapted from Cooking Light
3/4 cup finely chopped Onion
1 16-oz. can fat-free Refried Beans
2 cups shredded reduced-fat Mexican Blend or Cheddar Cheese
6 Corn Tortillas (taco sized, or 12 fajita sized)
1 19-oz. can Enchilada Sauce
2 tablespoons low-fat Sour Cream
6 tablespoons minced fresh Cilantro